Most Searched Travel Destination per US State 2021
In the time of quarantine and living on the couch, it’s easy to dream of a getaway.
So our savvy travel team here at Tortuga wondered,
What getaways are we dreaming of? When the lockdowns finally lift for good, what’s our first destination? And how does it vary from state to state?
The best place to start? The source of all answers, of course. We turned to Google (and some handy Google data analytics tools) to take a look at travel searches over the last year.
Some of us want to travel far. Some of us want to cross a state line.
- The most searched travel destinations in the United States are Mexico, Las Vegas, and Hawaii.
- Nevada, Hawaii, and the Dakota’s were the only states where the most searched travel destination was within their state.
- Florida residents were looking to travel the furthest distance, with their top travel destination being Europe (4,936 miles away).
- Marylanders will have the shortest trip to reach their desired destination of Washington, D.C., only about 37 minutes away (27.4 mi).
Here’s the full list of most searched travel destinations per US state:
- Alabama - Panama City, Florida
- Alaska - Hawaii
- Arizona - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Arkansas - Mexico
- California - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Colorado - Mexico
- Connecticut - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Delaware - Ocean City, Maryland
- District of Columbia - New York
- Florida - Europe
- Georgia - Mexico
- Hawaii - Hawaii (within state)
- Idaho - Hawaii
- Illinois - Mexico
- Indiana - Florida
- Iowa - Hawaii
- Kansas - Colorado Springs
- Kentucky - Pigeon Forge, Tennessee
- Louisiana - Houston, Texas
- Maine - North Conway, New Hampshire
- Maryland - Washington, D.C.
- Massachusetts - Maine
- Michigan - Mexico
- Minnesota - Mexico
- Mississippi - Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- Missouri - Mexico
- Montana - Hawaii
- Nebraska - Mexico
- Nevada - Las Vegas, Nevada (within state)
- New Hampshire - Massachusetts
- New Jersey - Mexico
- New Mexico - Las Vegas, Nevada
- New York - Miami, Florida
- North Carolina - Myrtle Beach of South Carolina
- North Dakota - Fargo, North Dakota (within state)
- Ohio - Mexico
- Oklahoma - New Mexico
- Oregon - Hawaii
- Pennsylvania - New Mexico
- Rhode Island - Vermont
- South Carolina - Gatlinburg, Tennessee
- South Dakota - Rapid City, South Dakota (within state)
- Tennessee - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Texas - Mexico
- Utah - Las Vegas, Nevada
- Vermont - Maine
- Virginia - Washington, D.C.
- Washington - Las Vegas, Nevada
- West Virginia - Pennsylvania
- Wisconsin - Hawaii
- Wyoming - Deadwood, South Dakota