Earn money by recommending the travel gear you already use and love.
- 10% commission on every sale that you refer
- 60-day tracking window
- High average order value (AOV)
- Award-winning products: Tortuga backpacks have been named the Wirecutter's "Best Carry On Travel Backpack" and won Carryology's "Best Carry On" award.
- Free travel gear: High-performing affiliates are eligible to receive samples of new products to test and share with their audiences.
- Free shipping: US customers receive free ground shipping for orders over $49.
- Worldwide Warranty: Tortuga’s warranty covers against defects in materials and craftsmanship for as long as the original customer owns the product.
- Robust reporting: AvantLink, our affiliate software, has comprehensive reporting to make it easy to see what’s working for you.
- No coupon competition: You don't have to worry about coupon sites getting credit for your sales or stealing your commissions. We don't have public coupon codes or allow coupon sites into our affiliate program.
Tortuga vs. Amazon
Some travel blogs and gear sites rely exclusively on Amazon for their affiliate programs. But being dependent on Amazon is risky. Your commission rate is subject to change on a whim, you have a short window in which to get credit for the sale, and, most importantly, you have a limited, low-quality selection of bags to recommend.
At Tortuga, we are both a merchant and an affiliate. We’ve been on both sides and have built our affiliate program to work for you, not against you. We’re on the same team here.
- Better commissions: Amazon offers only a 4% commission for luggage. Tortuga offers 10% on all of our products.
- Longer tracking window: Buying luggage is an investment. Travelers often take 30 days or more to decide what’s right for them. Our 60-day tracking window gives your audience plenty of time to research bags and make a decision. Amazon’s cookie window is just 24 hours.
- High AOV: Amazon’s travel backpack costs $50. Tortuga's average order value is nearly $300. You get a higher percentage commission on a higher value order.
What We Look For
The Tortuga Affiliate Program is an exclusive group of creators, bloggers, gear reviewers, podcasters, publications, and brands that align with our values.
When we consider new affiliates, we look at:
- Content: The most successful affiliates already review or recommend travel gear based on first-hand experience. Your audience trusts you and comes to you for advice. While travel and outdoors tend to overlap, our products are designed for city travel, so we don’t work with outdoor-focused sites. We also don’t work with coupon sites.
- Demographics and psychographics: Tortuga customers travels primarily to cities and are interested in exploring other cultures. They seek out the best local cuisine and enjoy finding authentic hidden gems. They would rather own fewer things and have more memories, stories, and friendships. The things they do own are meaningful and high quality.
- Domain authority and traffic: In order to provide high quality support, we keep our affiliate program small. We can only consider applications from websites with a Domain Authority of 25+ according to Ahrefs and monthly visitors of at least 50,000.
- Appearance: If your site is hard to navigate or covered in ads, potential customers won’t have a good experience. We’re looking for sites that are easy to use and enhance a visitor’s experience.
What We Expect
When you join the Tortuga Affiliate Program, we encourage you to share your honest experiences with your readers.
Our customers research products thoroughly before buying. An honest review with pros and cons will generate more sales than a flimsy but glowing review written without real experience using the product.
How to Apply
If you've read what we look for above and believe that you're a good fit, apply to join the program on AvantLink. You will either be approved or denied for the project within one week.
If you still have questions, contact us.